Saturday, March 1, 2014

Chile Verde

This is one of my favorite Mexican dishes my dad makes! My dad is one of those amazing cooks that just throws things together and judges all measurements by looking at it. When I called him to get this recipe he would say things like " then put some water in." I would ask, "how much" and he would just reply "like a cup or so." We decided it would probably be best if I just went over to my parents' house to make it with him, so I could get some measurements.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours

Ingredients:

2 lbs Tomatillo's (peeled and washed)
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 onion
3 garlic gloves
handful of cilantro (For you Aussie's a handful of coriander) *
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 Jalapeno
5 chicken bullion cubes
1 TBS olive oil
salt to taste
Pork Roast

*I couldn't get a real measurement what a handful
was, but this is what it looked like in my dad's hand.















Instructions:

Prepare your pork roast (I cooked mine in a crockpot for 4 hours with some oil).

Boil tomotillo's, onion, garlic cloves, and cilantro in water














Spoon out ingredients and reserve about a cup of water



Blend boiled ingredients with oregano, cumin, garlic powder, and jalapeno.















Warm olive oil up in pan, then add blended sauce. The sides of the blender will have the remains of salsa on them. Pour the reserved water in the blender to get as much out as possible. Return the pan to heat. Add chicken bullion cubes and salt to taste and let simmer for a 3 minutes.













Once your roast is done cooking, cut or break apart your roast, add the green salsa and cook for one more hour.












Serve with tortillas, rice, and beans :)



No comments:

Post a Comment