Wednesday, April 23, 2014

ANZAC Biscuits

So I know I missed a post last week. I was so excited to make Hot Crossed Buns and share the recipe with you, but let me tell you... it was a disaster! My yeast has lost it's oomph and the buns did not rise... at all! I continued to the end thinking that they would at least still taste ok after baking them. Nope. Since they didn't raise, the dough in the middle did not get done. I was so sad! I think its kind of funny now and someday I will try them again.

Anzac biscuits were sent overseas during World War I to the Australian and New Zealand soldiers. ANZAC stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp and Anzac Day is similar to what we American's celebrate as Memorial Day. We were in Australia last year on ANZAC day, but didn't get to experience it fully (we wished we would have!). The town we were living in had a ceremony at dawn and a parade or march later that day. We were able to walk to the post office that evening and saw lots of crosses representing those who had lost their lives in WWI.

I thought since ANZAC day is just a few days away (April 25), I would make some bikkies to celebrate it. I found this recipe and modified it just a little.


Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1 stick and a little (125 g) butter*
2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
1 Tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda (bicarbonate of soda)

*Conversions never really match up. I used about 9 Tablespoons of butter

Instructions:

Sift the flour into a bowl and add the sugar, rolled oats, and coconut.













Melt the butter along with the golden syrup and water in a saucepan.













Stir the baking soda in.













Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix well.













Form small balls and place on an un-greased cookie sheet.













Bake at 350*F (175*C). For a more chewy cookie bake for 12 minutes, then leave them on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes after taking them out of the oven. For a harder/crunchier bikkie, bake for 15-20 minutes.

Enjoy!

Happy ANZAC Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment